Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Chicken


So today Amanda and I are celebrating our first holiday together in our new house. And what a spread. As you can see we really went all out this year and made sure we got all the traditional fixings to go with the wonderful rotisserie chicken I spent 30 seconds picking out at the store this morning. It was tough. There were four chickens under the hot lamp at Smiths and I picked the one with the least scabby looking skin. Delicious!
When I got it home, it went right into the warmer of our vintage stove. Thankfully the warmer and two of the burners work on the stove. The oven doesn't work, but that doesn't matter. Luckily Amanda is really good at warming up yams and making Stove Top stuffing. She worked so hard on the dinner this year. I think she must have spent ten minutes slaving over the stove. In fact, she spent as much time working on dinner as she spent repeating the phrase "Thanksgiving Chicken" and laughing to herself as we sat down to write this post.

I have to say though, my absolute favorite part of the entire Thanksgiving dinner was last night when Amanda decided she was going to have a piece of pumpkin pie before the day even got here. That's why there is a slice missing from the pie. When she took her first bite last night she commented on how delicious the pie was, especially since it was still frozen.

After dinner we decided to set up our tree since we didn't do that at all last year. That part was a lot of fun. We played Christmas music and set up our little tree. One of the little glass balls broke and I had a shard of glass sticking out of my thumb, but other than that it went great.


Amanda took some picures of me as I set up our nativity set. The three wise men are MIA. Not sure where they could be. So I guess the shepherd is in charge of the gold, frankincense and myrrh this year.
We had a lot of fun and have been laughing about how funny our dinner was all day. Next year we'll have to plan it out a little better.

5 comments:

Diana said...

I laughed the whole time reading this...it is especially funny to see the chicken sitting on the table. For some reason it looks tiny and I am still giggling.
Tree looks great!

Diana said...

I laughed the whole time reading this...it is especially funny to see the chicken sitting on the table. For some reason it looks tiny and I am still giggling.
Tree looks great!

Diana said...

I laughed the whole time reading this...it is especially funny to see the chicken sitting on the table. For some reason it looks tiny and I am still giggling.
Tree looks great!

The Marshall Family said...

Wow, mom really wanted to get her point across! There is nothing wrong with Thanksgiving Chicken, but shouldn't Amanda have had Thanksgiving tofu?

Amanda, Jeremy and Lillian said...

It's actually called Tofurkey. We didn't have a Tofurkey and Amanda didn't eat any of the chicken.