Saturday, January 26, 2008

2 Tone




I wish there still was a show like The Old Grey Whistle Test. This performance by The Specials is just great. Of course, the band was (or more specifically Dammers was) the genius behind the legendary 2 Tone record label. The punk posturing mixed with reggae's toughness and class is just brilliant. There was a lot of great music that came out of the hybrid.

I've never been able to decide which of this movements greatest band I prefer. The Specials were the trendsetters if you will, Madness were the supr cool gang of toughs and The English Beat had the most soul.

This song by the Beat is from after their brief association with 2 Tone. But this is such a great song.



These ones by Madness are also post 2 Tone, but how can you really be "post 2 Tone." That little black and white checker board is like a tattoo. It doesn't wash off.




1 comments:

lazy said...

nice blog!!.I have done 2mixes you may want to put up Please!Hope you like them.
Lazy
http://bloggersdelite.blogspot.com/

BEATMIXTHISMIX.
Tears Of A Clown.
Rankin"Full Stop.
Mirror In The Bathroom.
Mirror In The Dubroom.
Hands Of She's Mine.
Stand Down Margaret.
Whine & Grine.
I Confess.
Doors Of Your Heart.
Drowning.
Twist & Crawl.
Too Nice To Talk To.
Psychedlic Rock.
Save It For Later.
Cant Get Used To Losing You.

Get It Here..
http://sharebee.com/3903316f
MixedTheLazyWay.

01.Stereotype (pt 1/2).
02.Rat Race.
03.Gangsters (org/rmx).
04.Man From C&A.
06.Hey Little Rich Girl.
07.Ghost Town (org/rmx).
08.Sock It To Em JB!!.
09.Enjoy Yourself.
10.Doesn't Make It Alright.
11.Blank Expression.
12.A Message To You Rudy.
13.Stupid Marriage.
14.Too Much Too Young.
15.Its Up To You.
16.You're Wondering.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/13184531e699f684/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F5CKQO60
http://sharebase.de/files/smHqjg0Z20.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/120409079/The_Specials_-_Nothing_Special_Mix_ORIG.MP3.html