I've been thinking about one of the interviews I went through (and there were several) for my current job. The fact that until quite recently I played in a punk band came up in one of the conversations I had with the upper brass.
It was a funny thing. They knew that the band I was in is going to be signed and one of them asked if I was really giving up on the dream of being a rock star in order to pursue the far less glamorous life of a journalist, and in this case, the even less glamorous life of middle management. Of course I don't think they understand that underground rock stardom rarely pays more than street cred. I think ramen is the official food of The Warped Tour. If it's not it should be.
Anyway, I thought about it very briefly and responded that in punk rock (no matter what variety of it you are into) the worst thing a person can do is sell out. The same thing holds true for journalism. The worst thing you can do is sell out. I could make more money doing something else but I don't work for the money. I work because I still believe that what I do is important. If I were a wedding photographer or PR person, for example, my financial situation would be remarkably better. But I'd be a traitor.
I believe good journalism helps people. I believe it's important to use my talents and skills to help people. So this job is a good fit for me.
I really can't say why I put a Pogues video with this post. No matter really. I love The Pogues. Shane MacGowan (he's the one with the teeth) is brilliant. He doesn't look brilliant, but he is.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Sell outs
Posted by Amanda, Jeremy and Lillian at 12:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment